The Zoo

The Zoo
At the zoo last year with some of the girls...Jas is pouting in the background because she didn't like the group she was in. Ahh pouty chlidren...I've gained an infinite amount of respect for my wonderful parents!

Monday, January 17, 2011

DaMan

I don't know what words to use to explain this picture but here's a brief synopsis of the conversation that took place before I snapped a picture.

Miss Holland: DeWayne, do I need to call your grandmother so she can see how you're behaving in my class?
DeWayne: You can call her but she ain't gonna come up here.
Miss Holland: And why is that?
DeWayne: She don't got no gas so she can't get up here.
Miss Holland (to myself): How in the world am I ever going to get this child to sit in his desk and learn?!

While the exchange was somewhat amusing because of DeWayne's quick wit, it also hit me that this is a reality that their families face day in and day out. Often times, their lives are contingent upon gas in the car or money in their pocket. Credit cards and bank accounts don't exist, nor a saving account for that matter. How do you reach a 7 year old boy like this who's momma and grandmother don't have a way to get to school to meet with their son/grandson's teacher?

No comments:

Post a Comment